A workplace injury is not an uncommon issue. Some workers really face some hard times after an injury. Things are not always alright, even if they get the proper treatment and medication. In some severe cases, workers may never gain their full fitness.
If something like this happens to you, what should you do? Your doctor may suggest a complete rest for an undefined time or may warn you that these types of work you do are corrosive to your current health condition.
When you get injured at work, you can take some steps that can make a huge difference. Our article aims to help you to deal better with this kind of situation.
What Are Workplace Injuries?
According to a report released by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, three million nonfatal injuries and illnesses were reported in 2013. The most-reported workplace injuries are-
- Falls or slips from the slippery surface.
- Muscle strains.
- Get hit by falling objects.
- Injury by repetitive strain.
- Collisions and crashes.
- Intoxicated by inhaling toxic fumes.
- Exposure to extremely loud sound.
- Fighting with co-workers.
What To Do right After An Injury
If an injury occurred, you must do the following things-
Get Medical Attention
If you get injured or feel sick during your work, you must get medical attention as soon as possible. Your condition could get worse if you don’t get medical help immediately. It might also affect your compensation claim.
File A Report
If you want injury compensation, file a report immediately after the accident. If you don’t report, you may not be covered under workers’ compensation laws.
Reporting an accident is crucial for some legal benefits too. It helps the company to adopt new policies regarding workplace safety issues. Report a disaster if it’s not severe or you come away unscathed.
Use Your Words Wisely
After an accident occurs, you must refrain from talking that might be used against you. Sometimes an accident may not look severe enough at the beginning. It could mislead the whole compensation case.
Hire A Lawyer
If you feel that the case is a bit complicated, then hire a lawyer. He/she can help you to deal with the whole situation better.
What Benefits Are You Entitled To
Worker’s compensation generally covers all the expenses for diagnosing and treating workers’ injury or illness. They are also entitled to vocational rehabilitation benefits. There are four types of disability benefits in general-
- Temporary Total Disability- Employees get total disability benefits for a limited time.
- Temporary Partial Disability- Employees get partial disability benefits for a limited time.
- Permanent Total Disability- Workers get a total disability benefit permanently if they are unable to return to work for good. They may be also eligible payments.
- Permanent Partial Disability- If the employee is unable to recover completely, and it affects their natural working ability, then he/she may get partial disability benefits permanently.
- Death benefits- If workers get killed in the workplace, then his/her family is entitled to receive death benefits.
What Are Your Legal Rights
There are several legal rights an employee can exercise after an accident-
- If the employers don’t provide workers’ compensation insurance, the employee can file a personal injury lawsuit against them in civil court.
- If the injury occurs for a defective machine, then the employee can sue the manufacturer. Then the manufacturer is entitled to provide the compensation.
- If the workers are exposed to toxic substances that result from long term side effects like cancer or lung disease, then they can file a toxic tort claim against the manufacturer.
- If the injury is caused by a third party, then an employee can sue the third party.
A workplace accident can cost an employee’s career. Both employers and employees should be cooperative to maintain safety standards. If the safety standards are kept in the workplace properly, then many of the accidents can be avoided.
If your employers don’t carry compensation insurance, then you need to take firm steps against them. I would recommend you to hire a personal lawyer if the case gets a bit out of hand.
If you want any professional help regarding your injury claim, feel free to contact us. We take our clients’ case ardently and guarantee a profitable solution.